Our new address is 979 York Street, Hanover, PA 17331. Phone 717-646-0102. Fax 717-646-0104.
Executive Slimline Pencil
Wood Blank Preparation
1) The two wood blanks required for this pen should be 5/8" [16mm] square. The blank top must be 2.08" [53mm] long and the blank bottom should be 2.36" [59.9mm] long.
2) Once these blanks are cut they both require a hole drilled in the center with a letter "O" or 8mm drill. Be very careful in your wood blank preparation, as you are making a precision writing instrument, if the blanks are not prepared to specifications, your results will neither look good or function properly.
NOTE: you can forgo the first two steps by contacting us, as WoodWrite, Ltd. can provide you with pre-cut, pre-drilled, wood blanks in over 30 varieties of standard, exotic, and rare woods, as well as six colors of crushed velvet.
3) There are four (4) brass tubes provided with this kit. Make sure you use the two largest diameter tubes for this and the next step. Glue the short brass cylinder into the blank prepared for the pencil top.
4) Glue the long brass cylinder into the blank prepared for the pencil bottom.
NOTE: The best glue for steps 3 and 4 and all brass cylinder gluing is WoodWrite, Ltd. CN-01 Adhesive. This is an expanding adhesive that requires 24 hours to dry, but assures you of a tight unbreakable bond. The cyanoacrylate (CA) glues work much faster, but they lack the "shear" strength required for this work and will separate if the pen is dropped. There is also the danger of the brass tube separating from the wood while you are turning the pen, due to vibrations.
5) It is very important for the appearance of your finished product that all of the end surfaces be perfectly square. The easiest way to accomplish this is before you turn the blanks. You can use any means you have available, but this is a critical step. After you have turned the barrels, you can square the ends with our CN-13 Barrel Trimmer.
Turning the Pen
1) You should use your KT-22 8mm mandrel for the Executive Slimline pencil. There is no need to use the middle two step bushings with this kit. If you are not using a WoodWrite, Ltd. lathe, you need to use the three small diameter WriteMaster bushings on your 7mm mandrel. Put a single ended bushing on first, followed by the top barrel. Then place the double ended bushing followed by the bottom barrel and the remaining single ended bushing.
2) Due to the style of this pencil, you will have to slightly taper the top of the upper barrel and the bottom end of the lower barrel. We have found the best way to accomplish your tapers is to turn the barrels almost to the specified sizes, then bring them to the finished size by sanding and creating the taper while sanding. Proceed to turn and sand the blanks to the following specifications.
TOP: 0.410" [10.45mm] with the top end gently tapered to 0.400" [10.18mm]
BOTTOM: 0.410" [10.45mm] with the bottom end gently tapered to 0.376" [9.36mm]
Note: if using a WoodWrite, Ltd. lathe, you can use the following micrometer dial settings:
CLK 0000 .... CCLK 0 .... CCLK 0 .... CCLK 0 .... CCLK 0 .... CCLK 30 .... CCLK 27 .... CLK 0000
3) Polish the finished blanks.
NOTE: You can get a far superior and the longest lasting finish on all your turnings by using WoodWrite, Ltd.s Turners Magic, Semi and Super Gloss polishes and sealer. These dry on the lathe in seconds. See the label for exact instructions
The WoodWrite, Ltd. KT-07 Assembly Press is by far the safest method of press fitting components without misalignment and breakage.
Bottom Pencil Barrel
1) Press fit the mechanism stop into the end of the longer inner brass tube, beveled end first.
2) Press fit this into the finished lower barrel with the mechanism stop at the tapered end.
3) Slide the Center Ring on the pencil mechanism from the point end.
4) Insert the pencil mechanism and screw on the nib tightly.
Top Pencil Barrel
1) On the finial, slide the Finial Ring, taper towards the top, then the Clip.
2) Press fit this clip assembly into the shorter of the two inner brass tubes.
3) Press fit all of this into the pencil top. Place a small amount of glue in the top before press fitting. The best glue for this is WoodWrite, Ltd. CN-12 adhesive.
4) When the glue has dried, slide the completed top assembly over the