Our new address is 979 York Street, Hanover, PA 17331. Phone 717-646-0102. Fax 717-646-0104.
Executive Slimline Ball Point Pen
Wood Blank Preparation
1) The two wood blanks required for this pen should be 5/8" [16mm] square. The blank top must be 2.08" [53mm] long and the blank bottom should be 2.36" [59.9mm] long.
2) Once these blanks are cut they both require a hole drilled in the center with a letter "O" or 8mm drill. Be very careful in your wood blank preparation, as you are making a precision writing instrument, if the blanks are not prepared to specifications, your results will neither look good or function properly.
NOTE: you can forgo the first two steps by contacting us, as WoodWrite, Ltd. can provide you with pre-cut, pre-drilled, wood blanks in over 30 varieties of standard, exotic, and rare woods, as well as six colors of crushed velvet.
3) Glue the short brass cylinder into the blank prepared for the pen top.
4) Glue the long brass cylinder into the blank prepared for the pen bottom.
NOTE: The best glue for steps 3 and 4 and all brass cylinder gluing is WoodWrite, Ltd. CN-01 Adhesive. This is an expanding adhesive that requires 24 hours to dry, but assures you of a tight unbreakable bond. The cyanoacrylate (CA) glues work much faster, but they lack the "shear" strength required for this work and will separate if the pen is dropped. There is also the danger of the brass tube separating from the wood while you are turning the pen, due to vibrations.
5) It is very important for the appearance of your finished product that all of the end surfaces be perfectly square. The easiest way to accomplish this is before you turn the blanks. You can use any means you have available, but this is a critical step. After you have turned the barrels, you can square the ends with our CN-13 Barrel Trimmer.
Turning the Pen
1) You should use your KT-22 8mm mandrel for the Executive Slimline pen. There is no need to use the middle two step bushings with this pen. If you are not using a WoodWrite, Ltd. lathe, you need to use the three small diameter WriteMaster bushings on your 7mm mandrel. Put a single ended bushing on first, followed by the top barrel. Then place the double ended bushing followed by the bottom barrel and the remaining single ended bushing.
2) Due to the style of this pen, you will have to slightly taper the top of the upper barrel and the bottom end of the lower barrel. We have found the best way to accomplish your tapers is to turn the barrels almost to the specified sizes, then bring them to the finished size by sanding and creating the taper while sanding. Proceed to turn and sand the blanks to the following specifications.
TOP: 0.410" [10.45mm] with the top end gently tapered to 0.400" [10.18mm]
BOTTOM: 0.410" [10.45mm] with the bottom end gently tapered to 0.376" [9.36mm]
Note: if using a WoodWrite, Ltd. lathe, you can use the following micrometer dial settings:
CLK 0000 .... CCLK 0 .... CCLK 0 .... CCLK 0 .... CCLK 0 .... CCLK 30 .... CCLK 27 .... CLK 0000
3) Polish the finished blanks.
NOTE: You can get a far superior and the longest lasting finish on all your turnings by using WoodWrite, Ltd.s Turners Magic, Semi and Super Gloss polishes and sealer. These dry on the lathe in seconds. See the label for exact instructions
The WoodWrite, Ltd. KT-07 Assembly Press is by far the safest method of press fitting components without misalignment and breakage.
Top Pen Barrel
1) Press fit the Cap assembly, to include, from the top down, the Cap, Cap Ring (taper towards the Cap) and the Clip into the top of the pen.
2) Place the top aside and assemble the bottom.
Bottom Pen Barrel
1) Press fit in the Nib at the tapered end.
2) Press fit the Twist Holder into the other end.
3) Place Spring onto Ink Cartridge and insert into lower barrel.
4) Screw Twist Mechanism onto Twist Holder.
5) Test Twist mechanism function by holding the brass end and turning the top portion of the mechanism. If functioning properly, retract the pen point and proceed. If not functioning properly remove from Twist Holder and place on a new mechanism. Return defective part.
1) Place completed top over Twist Mechanism and press top and bottom together.
2) Pen is now complete.