Our new address is 979 York Street, Hanover, PA 17331. Phone 717-646-0102. Fax 717-646-0104.
Signature Pencil Instructions
Wood Blank Preparation
1) The two wood blanks required for this pen should be 5/8" [16mm] square. The blank top must be 1.84" [46.5mm] long and the blank bottom should be 2.36" [60mm] long.
2) Once these blanks are cut they both require a 0.316" [8mm] hole drilled in the center with a letter "O" or 8mm drill. Be very careful in your wood blank preparation, as you are making a precision writing instrument, if the blanks are not prepared to specifications, your results will neither look good or function properly.
NOTE: you can forgo the first two steps by contacting us, as WoodWrite, Ltd. can provide you with pre-cut, pre-drilled, wood blanks in over 35 varieties of standard, exotic, and rare woods, as well as six colors of crushed velvet.
3) There are four (4) brass tubes provided with this kit. Make sure you use the two largest diameter tubes for this and the next step. Glue the short brass cylinder into the blank prepared for the pencil top. The brass cylinder is supposed to protrude beyond the top of the wood blank; this is required for the proper assembly of the pencil top.
4) Glue the long brass cylinder into the blank prepared for the pencil bottom..
NOTE: The best glue for steps 3 and 4 and all brass cylinder gluing is WoodWrite, Ltd. CN-01 Adhesive. This is an expanding adhesive that requires 24 hours to dry, but assures you of a tight unbreakable bond. The cyanoacrylate glues work much faster, but they lack the "sheer" strength required for this work and will separate if the pencil is dropped. There is also the danger of the brass tube separating from the wood while you are turning the pencil, due to vibrations.
1) If using a WoodWrite, Ltd. 8mm mandrel, place the top blank on first, with the exposed brass cylinder to the right, then the bottom blank. If using WoodWrite, Ltd. Signature bushings, place the bushing with the single large end on first, then the top blank, followed by the double ended bushing and the bottom blank, ending with the bushing with the smaller single end. The exposed brass tube of the top separates the top from the bottom blank.
2) Proceed to turn and sand the blanks to the following specifications.
TOP: 0.490" - 0.493" [12.4 - 12.5mm]
BOTTOM: 0.445 - 0.448" [11.3 - 11.4mm]
3) Polish the finished blanks.
NOTE: You can get a far superior and the longest lasting finish on all your turnings by using WoodWrite, Ltd.s Turners Magic, Semi and Super Gloss polishes and sealer. These dry on the lathe in seconds. See the label for exact instructions
The WoodWrite, Ltd. KT-07 Assembly Press is by far the safest method of press fitting components without misalignment and breakage.
Pencil Top Barrel
1) Press fit the brass ferrule into the end of the short inner tube. Place this aside for a moment.
2) Assemble the 3 piece decorative ring with the black ring first (gold-black-gold) and press fit onto the exposed cylinder.
3) Press the inner tube with the brass ferrule into the end of the top blank, opposite the decorative ring. Put the open end of the cylinder first. Make sure it is pressed all the way in, so that the brass ferrule is even with the top of the blank.
4) Place the clip on the cap and screw the cap into the brass ferrule.
Pencil Bottom Barrel
1) Press fit the mechanism top into the long inner brass tube. The mechanism stop must be flush with the end of the tube.
2) Insert the open end of the inner tube into the finished blank and press until the inner tube is flush with the bottom of the finished barrel.
3) Insert the pencil mechanism into the bottom barrel until all of the threaded end protrudes from the bottom barrel.
4) Screw the nib onto the threaded end.
5) Place the completed top barrel over the pencil mechanism and press them together. To advance the lead, hold the bottom barrel and turn the top barrel.